Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Sunrise hike


These little girls are so funny.  I'm not even sure how this happened, but they figured out the best childhood memory ever.  This activity has kept them entertained for hours.  It's relatively safe, and it looks like a blast.  I'm rather jealous.

 The Litchfields took us to dinner at Five Guys in Ogden.  Ummmm, hello.  Why are those burgers so yummy?!  Loved the company and the food.

My mom came and spent the night with the girls so Ryan and I could have a date night.  We met up with the Tippings and hiked into Ogden Canyon a ways and then built a fire, had foil dinners, and great conversation.  This is one of my favorite date night activities.

The next day the girls and I took the train with Annie to the Gateway.  We had lunch on the train and then went and saw Born To Be Wild at the IMAX.  Soooo cute!


I picked my sister Stacey up from the airport and I loved having her to myself all day.  We went to multiple consignment shops and out to lunch at Zuppas.  Then that night we got together with my mom and sisters for dinner and a girl's night slumber party.  This rarely happens and is just so much fun when the stars align to make it possible.

While I was having a girls night, Ryan took his girls on a daddy daughter date.  They hiked up the mountains behind our house and had a fire and dinner.  Emma was loaded down with a pack that I would normally carry.  She is just the best outdoor adventure gal I know.

The sister's night continued into the next day when we all went to Witches Night Out.  My niece Rachel, who I adore, also joined us.  Witches Night Out just can't be beat!  One of my favorite Fall activities.
 Stacey and I posed with these random men who were there as well.  I don't know why on earth a man would attend, but at least these men got into it.


Okay, this day is my most favorite and cherished day since being a mother.  I woke Emma up at 5:30 to join me for a sunrise hike on Ben Lomond.  She is such a champ!  She kept a great pace and a positive attitude and really just soaked in the beauty and excitement of our adventure.  I'm so excited for this next chapter in my life where I can find a true friend in my children.

 All the adults we passed just couldn't get over what a trooper Emma is.  She could have kept hiking much farther, but I knew that what goes up, must come down, and so I made us turn back before she was ready.
 My little peacock and flamingo birdies were so good to let me take their photos.  I love having matching costumes and I know I won't be able to get away with it forever, so I'm enjoying it while I can.


We originally had a hard time with potty training Lydia.  She just didn't WANT to go on the potty.  We tried everything.  In the end it was the Phantom of the Opera that did the trick.  We told her she couldn't watch that movie again until she went on the potty.  Sure enough, next day she went.  She was so excited and said "Yeah!!  I get my barbie now!!  And the Phantom is so proud of me!!"  Go figure.  In the photo below, Lydia is wearing some of Emma's panties, that's why they are tied up with an elastic.  We have since bought Lydia her own, but they are still baggy since she is just a little minute.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Ok, I have a lot to comment on. I hope I can remember it all. Here it goes. I love love the memories that I have of sliding down the stairs with the siblings. I love love your new heading and absolutely love the girls costumes. They look so adorable in them! I love that Emma is such a trooper and that you guys went on such a fun little adventure. I hope I have kids just like that. Witches night out looks so much fun, I really want to go one year! And, NO way is Lydia potty trained!!??? Yay for her. That is awesome. Is she wearing some of Emma's underwear? They look a little big. ;) I pretty much just love you and your family!

Annie said...

Oh hell where to begin! Ditto to everything Jess said, including the undies. I noticed them too and wondered what was up! Having your children as your adventure mates can't possibly be beat. This will only get better with time, but given the fact that you are enjoying this magic at the tender age of 5...hellyray...how lucky are you! Their costumes are over the top (what's new) Will your creativity never cease? Thanks for the walk today btw.

Kylee said...

This was a great post with a lot of fun activities going on, but all I can think of to comment on is how in the world your girls could possibly get any cuter than they are right now. I kind of don't know how to handle the cuteness by just looking at pictures and not being able to see them in person and squeeze their little guts out! Ah, I just miss them so much. And your creativity and sense of adventure are amazing.

amity said...

lindsey those costumes are amazing!! did you make them? i am sure you did. so impressive.

Lee said...

Did Jessica and annie not read every word of your post? Cause if they did, they wouldn't be wondering what the deal is w/ Lydia's baggy undies- you said what the deal was!
Oh man, your creativity and genius never ceases to amaze. Those costumes. Seriously, you need to enter them in some contest. ADORABLE. And Emma the hiker- that is the BEST! (and what's Jess talking about? she wants kids like that? That means she'll have to become a mom that likes to hike! haha) Good for Lydia going potty for the Phantom. That's so funny. And sliding down the stairs w/ a mattress? That's a step up from my kids who did it in a sleeping bag. Signs of the times I guess :)

Jord said...

Their costumes are adorable! I'm so glad Stacey came to town so you could all be together. And I love that you take advantage of the outdoors and that your girls love camping. We need to be better about that.