Thursday, January 31, 2013

Christmas Day


 I thought it would be fun to compare previous Christmases in my parent's house.  In 2010 we had Ryan's sister Julie come celebrate with us, last year we lived with my parents, and this year we live near my parents :)


My dad wrote and composed a beautiful song about our Savior that Emma sang for our program, the picture of her kneeling by the manger is part of her musical performance.  Lydia couldn't be left out, so she had Caleb hop on the piano while she sang us Jingle Bells.  I had my parents give the girls their gifts on Christmas Eve so they wouldn't get washed out with the morning's presents.  Emma was over the moon about her new "warm sheets" (flannel.)  Lydia....not so much about her "warm sheets."  Then we had white elephant prizes and the highlight for the kids was the penny auction.

We went outside and set off paper lanterns, a signature activity for this year and to celebrate a Holiday. 

The elf knocked and the kids went RUNNING for bed!!  They crawled right in bed and pretended to be asleep as fast as they could....never to even make a peep or get out of bed until the morning.  Oh how I love that elf knock and all that it represents. 
 I'm very thankful that Santa got my note and was kind enough to take a photo of all the toys that he had laid out for the girls the night before.

The best part of Christmas morning was watching Lydia be reunited with her "Taggy."  On her third birthday we sent her Taggy up to the North Pole for Santa to keep it while Lydia worked on not sucking her thumb anymore.  This blanket had a tag on it, and Lydia would hold the tag in her hand while she sucked her thumb.  This was cute as a baby, but had to stop.  So off the blanket went and she never sucked her thumb again past her third birthday.  Christmas morning Lydia knew her Taggy would be there, and sure enough, she was the happiest I've ever seen her. 

 Doc McStuffins Kit- we have all had MANY check ups.

I love this photo.  It capture the early morning sun rising over the mountains.
  This is my FAVORITE photo of Em.  I just love how full her confidence is in herself.  I know that with time, age, hormones, and mean girls that it will surely decrease.  For now, I try to encourage her every chance I get to love everything about herself.

 

Brave- Bow and Arrow

Ry might have been the happiest of all....finally, not only do we have a decent blender, but the best on the market!!  Blendtech!

The start of many toys and tiny toy parts to assemble

It's fun to see how things change, even though I bed Lydia could still fit in those baby pajamas

We had a yummy breakfast and let things simmer down before I let the girls open their presents from their Grandma and Grandpa.  I don't think it's fair for grandparent gifts to get lumped in with everything else.  They were so thrilled with these gifts, thanks Margo and Clay!
 From Margo and Clay Lydia got a new Minnie Mouse dress up, and Emma gave her the little Minnie Mouse doll. 

We spent the day eating left overs, playing cards, and just RELAXING!  The girls took at least a two hour tub since some of their new toys were tub friendly, this is how their hands looked when they finally got out. 

I can't say enough how thankful I am for all the joy, love and blessings I have in my life.  I am thankful for the outlook I have on life and the clarity in which I can see what is important.  I am so very thankful for my Savior, Jesus Christ, who loves me....no matter what.

7 comments:

Lee said...

Yay- the first to comment. . . this post was a long time coming, but as always, worth the wait. I love how you captured the magic of Christmas morning- your Christmas Eve sounded fantastic, despite the missing video. I just love family traditions- the motel stay, the elf knocking- it's all adds so much to the magic of Christmas. The song Emma sings that Trace wrote is a favorite for me. I love that Lydia was so happy about Taggy. Is she still? Does she care about it as much as before it got shipped off? The girls' wrinkled hands are definitely frightening! Yikes.

Vonnie said...

Great to see all your fun family events! the last picture is my FAVORITE!

Carrie said...

Wow wow wow! What an amazing Christmas for your family! I know how magical and special you make holidays and your traditions are some of the best I've ever heard of. I love learning from you and using some of them myself(; Lydia with her taggy just makes my heart smile. She is sooo darling and petite! There is so much to comment on but I loved your comparison pictures, how confident Emma is, your hotel stays with your family and the fun games you play. Your parents rock!! I forget about how much time I could have to myself if I'd just let them play in the tub longer. How darling your girls are always dressed. Life is good, isn't it? Love that you still blog. Keeps me goin(;

Carrie said...

I also need to know where you get the white lanterns? i have my heart set on them for Jaxen's eighth birthday but heard they are going to make them illegal?? help

Jessica said...

wow!! The girls hands are a little creepy! I'm glad you guys had such a fun christmas! I love that you put up some old pictures from past chrismas'- it is fun to compare! It made me laugh out loud when you said that the baby pajamas would probably still fit Lydia. The elf knock is the best- I am definitely going to do that with my kids. And I love the pictures of Lydia with her taggy.

Kylee said...

I am so mad! I wrote a big long comment on my phone and it didn't go through! grrr. Now I probably won't remember everything. I love the before and afters and I thought you captured the magic of Christmas so well! I love Lydia's minnie mouse costume and I love Emma's confidence. I can't remember anything else, but I loved this post.

Holls said...

Okay I kind of cried a little when I saw the picture of Lydia reuniting with her taggy... Also, I LOVED the fort. How fun! You guys are fun parents!