Friday, August 9, 2013

Lydia's Luau

 My sweetest little treasure turned four this summer (insert tears here.)  How is my BABY four?!!




We had a Hawaiian Luau in Paradise, where else?



Pinterest makes this rainbow slushy drink seem a lot easier to execute than it is in reality.


 So you're probably thinking "Hey, isn't that the same photo stacked on top of each other?"  Well, no, it isn't.  They are slightly different angles, and I had to show both to get my time's worth.  Just a note for some of you.  If you don't like delegating (or are incapable of it) or asking for help, so you have a party to prepare for the whole family, well, you probably shouldn't carve fruit during the day of the party, it can really add to your stress level and put you behind for when the guests arrive, I'm just sayin'.


We HAD to do the Limbo, these are the top 3 winners.
1. Lydia.  It's her birthday, aaaaaand, look at that face, is she worried she won't clear the stick?
 2. My dad.  He is totally trying to participate.  There's his daughter on the left trying to cut him some slack, and his life partner on the right, finding joy and not budging on raising that stick!
 3. Kennedy of course, that girl is rubber I tell ya!

 We played some minute to win it games.  Boys vs. Girls.  We looked for hidden paper umbrellas, had yoga competitions, fire baton twirling, hula hoop contests, lei piling, and pass the orange.
 The best was the game called "Go Fish."  The kids had to reach in this vase and see who could catch a fish with their bare hand in the least amount of time.  Emma dominated with a 3 second catch!
 At the start of the night, everyone had a lei.  If you said the word "drink" then someone else could say "gotcha" and you had to give them your lei.  The person at the end of the night with the most leis was the winner.  Brody was thrilled to win, but not thrilled that he only won a fruit roll up.  Sorry kid!

We had some fantastic presents, Lydia was pleased as Hawaiian punch!  A Minnie Mouse nightgown...best ever!!  I don't support character clothing, but pajamas is an exception.  Look at Emma eying all her new gifts.

 The best ever was when we lit the candles and Lydia's paper umbrella went up in flames, she was scared for her life!!  I wish I could've caught her face on camera.
 I had two amazing parts of her birthday.  One was when Ryan and I pulled her aside and let her open a gift from our house elf.  She was finally returning Lydia's silk tag back to her.  Lydia has been missing it since the elf left Christmas Eve and took it with her.  It's a long story of the significance of this tag, but it just really means a lot to her and I went to great lengths to make the gift possible, so I was pleased to find that she treasured this present.  As a baby she used to suck her thumb and rub taggy on her nose.  She still love to rub that tag on her nose, and my nose as well, if I've been extra nice.
 The ultimate best part of the day was when the party was over, everything had been played, eaten, and unwrapped.  Then Lydia and I sat down by the pool and talked about her life and how thankful I am to have her in mine.

For the sake of the blog book I am going to address this letter to Lydia.  It's surely going to be cheesy, so you might want to spare yourself.  I just have to write it now, I know if I don't now, then who knows when I will. 
Dear Pipsquek,
I struggle to find the words to let you know jut how much you fill my heart.  You bring a gentleness and tenderness with you everywhere you go.  My life has a lot of big personalities, loud laughing, and playing hard.  Then you come along, with your tiny little body, your fluffy hair, and those bright blue eyes.  You instantly soften every room you step into.  When you were a baby I would just lay next to you and beg God to not let me forget the way you smelled, the little sounds you made, and the way I felt.  I think I have been blessed to really soak up the tiny moments with you.  I love it when you crawl in bed with me in the mornings, and gently pet my cheeks, and when I open my eyes I see the most loving expression on your face, just like the one I would wear when I watched you sleep as a baby.   I absolutely love watching you learn, you really soak it all in and value the importance of being smart.  I love that you know your limits, much better than I know your limits.  I never have to worry about you being in danger, but I am always surprised by what you are capable of, especially for someone so young.  Most of all, I love what an obedient little girl you are.  The ability to obey will serve you well in this life, and I mean that to be much further reaching than just obeying your parents.  I've loved watching you grow up, reach milestones, and give so much purpose to my life.  Six years ago I felt your absence in our family, we truly were incomplete without you.  I am so thankful for your sweet gentle spirit and the love and light you bring to this family.  Thanks goodness I don't have a choice whether you grow up or not, because if it were up to me you would have stayed 3 forever.  You are my sweetest little Pippie.  I hope you had the happiest birthday (which of course you did, look at all those above photos, how could you not love this day?)  All my love, literally, you can have every drop that I can give.  Love, Mom.

8 comments:

Kylee said...

I'm dying!! This party is soooooo amazing. And that letter to Lydia at the end was so sweet!! You are so good with words and expressing exactly how you feel. That is a gift and one of the things I love about you. Now back to the party - Wowie wow wow!! That cake is the coolest thing I've ever seen and I love all the tiny little details that really make the whole party special. I know your girls do and always will appreciate all the time and effort you put into making their birthday's so special. I only wish I could have been there ...

Brittney Wimmer said...

Oh my gosh! I'm sobbing my eyes out right now. Literally! Oh man that letter is quite a treasure! You know I can appreciate that amazing party you put together for Lydia, but taking the time to write that letter will be the thing that matters most for years to come. Alright, moving past the tears and back to the party. Laughing OUT LOUD! Over what you wrote about the flip flop cookie photos! I totally understand why you posted two from different angles! I almost do that every time because I love both angles so much and I'm so proud of what I've put together! Also, laughed over the limbo commentary! Hilarious! And that shark!!!! Are you kidding me! I can't believe you tackled that yourself. I must say, all the effort was worth it! It turned out fantastic! Oh, I almost forgot! Tag! How fantastic was that special moment. Seriously! And last but not least. That photo shoot..... Oh, the photo shoot. Pinch me because those are too adorable to be real! I love that little doll. Seriously, those blue eyes could just melt my heart. You're fabulous Linds! Really. Just amazing!

Jessica said...

I'm dying as well. I seriously loved every SINGLE one of those pictures! Um... that photo shoot- wow, could she be any cuter?! I think not! And I agree- how can she be 4?? That party you gave her, you are honestly the best party planner out there and I love that you always go all out. All your treats are just fabulous and perfect! Im very impressed with your watermelon carving skills. I love Emma's face in the present opening pictures. And that cake, seriously?! please tell me you did not make that. Its the cutest as is her receiving her taggie and that sweet letter you wrote to her. It is going to be hard for me to live up to your high standards when i have kids!

Annie said...

Oh Linny. What a Mommy you are. You deserve such wonderful daughters. Some mothers don't deserve their children....but YOU do. That party was a highlight of my summer. Another homerun. And Lydia. If she isn't just the shining star on the hill that this family needs. I love her so much.

Lee said...

This comment can't outdo those that have already been left- what more is there to say? First off I want to say how sorry I am that I posted anything about this party on my June blog post- I totally stole some of your thunder, and I'm sorry for that- I didn't even think. Please forgive me. OK- now to my thoughts. I love the words on the umbrella in the first pict. So cute, creative, and true. The second picture of Lydia is my favorite. I think it captures her sweet personality the best. I'm sad we missed at least watching everyone play the games, eat the cake and open presents. As if I wasn't impressed enough already w/ the food and decorations that we did witness. That cake--- I'm with Ky- it is so spectacular, magical and whimsical-all rolled up in one. Well, actually this whole party is summed up with those three words. You went to SO much work, and I hope you think it was all worth it, because it truly was. You surely can't keep this up for too much longer, can you? Maybe every year til the girls turn 8 or 10? And that letter- perhaps the sweetest thing I've ever read. I loved it so much and just love what a wonderful mother you are. I really think you should give seminars on how to be the best mother you can be. You really are inspiring. I'm so happy my girls have you to look to for what hip, fun, creative, loving mom's do.

Carrie said...

YAY! I am so happy to see these pictures!! What an incredible party! Everyone looks so happy and having fun! What are you talking about, these picts are great! You got the details girl, and I love all the creativity with tags to match. I love the theme and that darling photoshoot!! I loved every single bit. Especially the carved watermelon. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!! That is when I would've said "bag it"haha! I can truly appreciate all your hard HARD work and I love that we can talk each other through it. You are my rock when I want to cry! That LETTER!! is. PRICELESS! I wish I was as good with words and expressing myself. She will treasure that! Well done my friend, I'm so proud!!

Carrie said...

Ps. you are stunning in that last photo! Blow that up for her room. She is SO lucky to have you as her mommy and what would you do without her. She is too darling, soft spoken, and polite to ever cause you stress. You won in the parenting department. She is too good for words! I want to keep her!

Jord said...

What a month! You are the best at soaking up every moment and looking for adventure every day. Your little girlies are so lucky to have you as their Mom.