Friday, September 11, 2009

Weekend Fun

We had the best Labor Day weekend. Friday we picked Ryan up from the airport. He is all done with training, for now, and Emma was beside herself with excitement to see him. I loved noticing how much she really missed him.























We went straight to Snow Basin and met my family for the Full Moon Gondola ride up to the top of the mountain where we brought a picnic and enjoyed the telescopes that people had brought up with them. The moon has never looked more beautiful.

















My parents rode in one Gondola with the grand kids so we could enjoy some quiet time with Sara and Cody. This definitely takes the cake for my favorite date of the year.


















For Labor Day my cousin Jessica came out and spent the night with us so she could have a full day of snuggling with Lydia while we took Emma off on an adventure with us. Thanks again Jessie.
So we took Emma and drove up Big Cottonwood Canyon. We had never been there and couldn't get over how beautiful it was and all it had to offer. We'll definitely be heading back again sometime.


Our first stop was Silver Lake. It was beautiful and had a great boardwalk that went all the way around it. This was something we could've brought Lydia to do with us, but I'm glad she was at home :) I asked Emma if she was having so much fun being alone with just me and dad and she said "Yes, except I wish Lydia was here." That's nice to hear, but I didn't agree.























We also did a great little hike up to Doughnut Falls. This picture doesn't do it justice because the waterfall was much bigger than this. Ryan hiked up the waterfall with Emma, I was not amused but we do call Ryan a Mountain Goat and he lived up to his reputation and brought her back without a scratch.





























We ended with a yummy dinner at one of our favorite restaurants, Old Spaghetti Factory. Then we enjoyed a quiet ride home, with no questions and no interruptions while Emma had a nice long nap :) This was such a fun day and I hope to make a better habit out of doing things one on one with our kids as they grow older.

6 comments:

Jackie Greenwood said...

How fun!! We totally just went up there the same weekend, and took the same walk! How funny is that. Emma is darling.

Lee said...

What a fun weekend! And a nice welcome home for Ryan- I love the one-on-one adventure w/ Emma- that's so great. What a bonus you had some quiet time on the way home. I know it was a fun day for Jessica as well snuggling and holding Lydia all day.

Stacey said...

Love the boardwalk, reminds me of the one at Bear Lake, loved her shirt...I remember Cammy and Kenna in that! Typical mt goat to get her down w/out a scratch. It's amazing you can/have someone to leave a newborn with for that long besides your husband! I wouldn't know how that felt. EVER! One kid seems like a piece of cake in comparison! I left Brods with Todd and took the kids to the river today for nearly 3 hours! It was a little bit of heaven on Earth. Poor Mr. Boy, he would've had a lot of fun too.

Shannon Allen said...

What a great date with Emma! I think that is such a great idea and a beautiful place to spend the day together!

tutus n bowties said...

We were just talking about going to Silver Lake with some frinds. Now that I have seen pictures I really want to go! What a fun weekend for you guys.

Jamie Jo said...

What a fun day! You'll have to let me know how to get to all those places.