Tuesday, October 23, 2012

September

 For Labor day we had 21 members of my extended family come over for breakfast and an Amazing Race scavenger hunt.  Super fun!!  I hope to make it an annual tradition.
The teams had to find street signs, dig in the sand for a clue, find family names on headstones at the cemetery, compete in a blindfolded race across a playground, and then make their way to a park and find me so they could check in and not be eliminated.  Then we all added a service to provide for one another as the prizes.  Looking forward to doing this again.  I love having a home large enough to host family parties.

Emma and her dad, these two are as close as a father and daughter could ever be.

At the park after the race with my darling sister Sara and her two boys.  
 After the breakfast and race we all went to the Logan pool for our last swim of the year.  Sara and I just happened to show up in the same swimsuit.

 One night we had some family over for home made sushi rolls.  Let me just say, it was fun when we first learned how to make them.  Now, we're pretty played on it.  They're a lot of work and not nearly as yummy as the professionals.  So, this was our last sushi party, but it was delicious and fun introducing the food to the family.  Everyone was pretty good sports about trying them too :)


I finally pulled it together and had my family take some photos.  It's been a year and a half since our last photo, so this was long over due.  I'm saving my favorite photo for our Christmas card.


My Aunt Lee took them, so a big thank you to her.  Afterwards we checked out the fish at second dam.  There was a casualty, of course, as Lydia fell on her face.  She recovered with a smile when I told  her she was a sweet girl for giving the ground a hug.


 This was a month FULL of color.  I'm so glad I had so many chances to get out and hike, bike and explore in Logan Canyon.  Below is a hike I did with my aunt Lee.  GOR-GE-OUS!!


Then I did the same hike with my parents and my sister. It was so nice spending an afternoon with just my parents and sister.  It was like the good old days when just Sara and I lived at home.  We had great conversation and then washed the whole day down with lunch at the Crepery.




Just some random photos now.  Here's Bundy with his helicopter.  This really is fun for the whole family, and it takes a surprising amount of skill to fly this thing.

Ky- this photo is for you.  Here's Lydia catching and squashing a spider.  She's my good little bug and spider catcher.  I love that!!


 We celebrated our ten year anniversary this month.  It's been quite the ride for us and we've seen and been through a lot in our years together.  My favorite quote to sum up the last ten years is one I found on pinterest.  "The couples who are "meant to be" are the ones who go through everything that is meant to tear them apart and come out even stronger than they were before."  I'm so thankful for my husband and the daughters I have because of him. 

For our anniversary we farmed our girls out (a big thank you to my mom and Lee) and went to Ogden for the night.  We saw a movie at the Junction and then met up with the Tippings for dinner and great conversation and Zuppas.  Afterwards we headed up to Liberty and stayed at this darling little cottage.  We had a great time driving and reminiscing about our early years.  We had lunch at Eats the next day and then got home to our girls and let them go out to eat with us so they could celebrate our marriage as well.  Such a fun anniversary. 

Ry took the girls on an adventure up Logan Canyon and found them a snake.  Both girls wanted to keep it as pet, but we're not pet people, especially not for a snake!!


One day we took the girls to Mack Park and let them bring their toys to play by the creek while we had a picnic and read our books.  I can't say enough how much I love having kids who are the same gender and play so well together. 


We finally made our way up to Tony Grove.  We've heard about this place for years and I'm so glad we paused from our to-do list to get up here.  We went with the Jensens for a picnic and a beautiful hike around the lake.  I can't imagine a more beautiful season up here.  

Gymboree has the BEST bubbles....they take forever to pop!  This entertained the girls all morning.

We're getting settled into our neighborhood and have enjoyed getting to know our ward and neighbors.  There are some darling little kids who live across the street and it's fun having the kids come and go from one another's homes.  Just in case you were wondering, Lydia likes these neighbors and has fun with the kids, I don't know why she looks so upset.  Silly girl.

September was a great close to our summer, loaded with fun and beautiful colors, possibly my favorite September I've had in a long time.  We are loving our life here in Cache Valley.

8 comments:

Lee said...

Looking outside today at the snow, it was extra exciting to see your Sept. post and see and remember the beauty that it was. Sad that it's over for another year, but I'm so glad we were able to enjoy so many fun activities w/ you guys. Labor Day was great- I hope it is an annual tradition. I don't think I realized you celebrated your 10 year. Duh! Love the picture from your wedding day and currently on the same location in front of the temple. Lydia and the spider! Ky will be freaked- as that's something that will likely never happen with her. Your family pictures turned out so darling. But, how could they not?

Kylee said...

Thanks for the shout out picture :) I've actually been a LITTLE better about killing spiders myself, as long as they are smaller than a pea. I LOVE that both of your girls are so brave and adventurous. Your family pictures turned out amazing and you look so tiny in the second one. Can't wait to see more! I love the idea of taking a family picture 10 years later in front of the place you were married to easily see the change that has taken place. I will be adding that to my "good ideas I've gotten from Lindsey" list (which believe me is real and quite long). I talked to your girls on the phone today and realized that I miss them a lot. Can't wait to see you guys in a couple months!

Shannon Allen said...

I LOVE so many things about this post! Your girls are absolutely darling as are you and Ryan. Congtrats on 10 years! I also am so jealous of all the fall colors. I love Utah in the fall! Cant wait to see your favorite family picture!

Jessica said...

I'm so sad I missed your labor day party. It looks like so much fun. I hope you will make it a tradition so we can come next year! I love love love your family pictures and can't wait to see your favorite one. I also love love the idea of your 10 year anniversary picture. The hiking pictures are beautiful. I am so impressed with Lydia killing spiders. I'm glad the girls will have some fun friends close by the house, that's always nice!

Annie said...

Kid, come hell or high water you have GOT to publish your blog! Especially this year. You just get better and better with your pictures and descriptions. Soldier on.

Carrie said...

Happy 10 year!! You guys are a great example of what marriage should be like. You are such a fabulous host, I'm sure your family had a great time over labor day and your house is DARLING! I still need to see it in person! Great fall photos, I can't wait to get my Christmas card! Thanks for making Addi's dreams come true(: Hoping to see you soon!

Holls said...

Cute house! We need to make our way up there to see it soon. Or at least we need to meet for lunch up there. I'm willing to make the drive:) it is way too sad how long it's been...

Jord said...

Your BBQ looked so fun! I wish we lived closer and could hang out. I love your ten year pics and congratulations on such a great achievement. I'm so glad you take advantage of the beautiful Utah fall weather. That is the season I miss the most!