Thursday, February 4, 2010

Nursing vs. Bottle Feeding

I can't believe my nursing experience is coming to an end. The most surprising part is that I am actually sad it is over. I repeat, I am SAD it is over. Nobody is more surprised than me that I feel that way. I didn't nurse with Emma, I thought nursing was for sickies. Then with Lydia I wanted to see what all the fuss was about so I thought I would give it a try. I had a lot of encouragement from friends and I think that really helped me see it through. I am so glad I had this opportunity to enjoy one of God's many genius functions of the human body. Nursing was so much more than just being 'functional' for me and I am truly happy that I gave it a chance. I really think I would have nursed for a few more months, if not to the year mark, except my body AND Lydia conspired against me and have both decided that they're not really into it anymore. I am also thankful that I bottle fed Emma. I don't regret that decision at all and I am thankful that I feel like I have a great view of both sides of such a sensitive debate. So here are MY PERSONAL opinions on the rumors and arguments about nursing vs. bottle feeding.

#1. Nursed Babies have better Immune systems--- FALSE!!!
Ummm, Lydia seems to be sick every other week. Granted she does have an older sister home dragging germs through the house. But even still, the way people carry on about the antibodies in breast milk I just had higher expectations for our winter flu and cold season. Plus, some of the sickest kids I know come from a devout nursing mother. So this argument for nursing seems pretty invalid to me.

#2. Nursing helps you lose weight--- TRUE!
I thought that only naturally skinny people said this and it only applied to people with great genes. But not the case. I lost my baby weight with Lydia in a matter of two weeks. Then by the time she was 6 months old I had lost an additional ten pounds. I know some women don't lose weight until they STOP nursing, but that wasn't the case for me. So I would say this statement was definitely true.

#3. Nursed babies have a greater bond with their mother--- UNDECIDED
So for the most part I think that statement is absurd! I didn't nurse Emma and my other two sisters didn't nurse their boys and the love from a child to mother is just as great as any. I don't think Nursery teachers can spot which kids were breast fed and which were bottle fed. Seriously, it's insulting to mothers who don't nurse and especially to mothers who simply can't nurse. HOWEVER, what makes me undecided is the fact that MOST babies I know who were nursed have a VERY ANNOYING attachment to their mother. They cry when she leaves the room, hang on her leg all day long, and sometimes even cry when their dad is holding them. So it is possible that those kids are on a case by case basis, but it seems the kids that have the separation anxiety the worst are all kids that were nursed. I will admit that my little Lydia prefers me over anyone. And I will also admit that sometimes it is nice. After all, I'm the one who carried her, birthed her, and wakes up with her in the night and devotes my whole day to her. I should have a special preference in her life. I just hope she out grows it soon so she can be a well rounded child. Nobody likes kids who cling to their mother's leg and cry when you look at them. Emma has always been soooo friendly and so well adjusted and I take so much pride in watching her interact and brighten the day of the elderly, sick, and disabled. Do I owe it to the formula? No, she just came that way and I wanted to brag about her for a moment ;)

#4. Bottle fed babies sleep better--- FALSE
My little Lydia was sleeping through the night at 2 months. Sleeping 12+ hours at 3 months. Of course when she was sick I wasn't so lucky and had to get up with her multiple times. But over all she has slept just as sound as Emma did. So this myth is totally busted!

#5. Nursing is cheaper than bottle feeding--- TRUE
Nursing comes with a good amount of required "tools" that I was unaware of. I had to come up with a breast pump(that I borrowed) nursing pads, nursing bra, and ointments. So although the monthly bill is definitely cheaper than formula, nursing isn't without it's expenses.

#6. You can't get pregnant while nursing--- FALSE (duh)
However, in the defense of women who believed this to be true, I will say that I haven't had a visit from "Aunt Flow" since I became pregnant in October of '08. So I can see how this myth would be easily believed. I do still get the monthly grumps and cravings though.

#7. Nursed babies have higher IQ's--- FALSE
I haven't done any scientific studies, but seriously? Come on. I do believe some kids are naturally smart, but they're also socially awkward. For the most part our kids are as intelligent as we are willing to work with them.

#8. Nursing leaves you with a AA cup size--- TBD
As far as I am told this is pretty true. Either an A cup or saggy waggy. But guess what, boobs are kind of sicky to begin with. So how bad could it really be? But we'll see if I still feel that way when all is said and done.

These are just MY personal findings. I am so thankful I nursed and I am really proud of myself for seeing it through. There is just something special about it that is hard to describe without sounding like a "sicky" that I was referring to earlier. I do think that mother who bottle feed are just as loving, caring and nurturing. For the most part they are getting more sleep and can also get more help at times, which probably also gives them more patience. As we all know, patience is a quality that makes the very best mothers. So I think everyone should stop being so hard on each other as women and just be more encouraging of the personal choices we make of what we think is best for our children and best for our families. I'm so thankful to see both sides of the spectrum and to have truly cherished each different experience with each of my girls.

11 comments:

Jamie Jo said...

That was a great post, Linny. I still hold out on thinking bottles are best, because someone else can do it while the mom has a nap or goes to the show, or whatever. But, I agree with your point that it is each mother's choice, and we shouldn't judge.

Cami said...

You crack me up! I am glad that you had the opporunity to test out your theriores. Now you will be the one to call when someone is on the fence! Have fun in Arizona! Tell Annie HI For me!

The Fife's said...

I love you. You are so cute. I totally agree with ALL your points of view. Thanks for sharing

Lee said...

Very interesting insights. I'm glad you got to experience both worlds. As you know, all my kids were bottle fed, and all prefered me over Mike for part of their babyhood (some for much longer than others)-

Loved seeing your picts of your family fun adventure to Texas Roadhouse. You'll have to get Ryan started on Saturday adventures w/ just him and the kids in a year or two--- I adored those few hours every Saturday to myself, and Mike and the kids always had a great time together.

Annie said...

I'm still glad I didn't!

The Hartley Family said...

I love you and totally love and agree with this post. What a good momma you are!

Taylor's mom said...

Hi there. I hope you don't mind that I blog stocked this from the Alberts blog but I've been thinking about people who were in our ward and wanted to see how you were doing.
I just read your post from Jan 17 when your little one was in the hospital. I'm so sorry you both had to experience that. I just wanted to share with you what happened with Taylor and maybe put some ease to your mind and what others may be saying.
At Taylor's 2-month check-up and shots, she developed a severe rash and breathing problem within hours. I had to take her to the ER and was basicially told they had no idea what caused her to react to the shots. NO ONE could help us. After doing hours of research, I realized that doing the vacination (sp) the way they do can over load babies systems. I decided, much to the argument of all of my Dr's and Taylor's, that I would not get her immunized until she was one. I stuck to the and have been greatful for sticking to my guns ever since. I will deffinately do that with baby #2 when the time comes.
After Taylor turned one, I only let them give her the shots one at a time. When she turned two, I was able to do more than one until she was finially caught up.
I hope this helps...sorry for the novel...and I was wondering if I could add your family to our family blog of friends??

SaraPete said...

Linny, you are too funny! Very good points to both sides! The question is....will you nurse or botttle your 3rd baby??

SaraPete said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jord said...

I loved this. You are totally right that there are two sides, but I think overall as long as you feed you baby you are a good mom.

Elaine said...

Well, I'm glad you have been able to experience both sides, because ultimately, it is a mom's choice. And you're right... no one should judge!

I have 3 breastfed children, who have so far all turned out very differently! In attachment to me, sociability, and intelligence. So, I can't blame any of it on the breastfeeding.