Tuesday, July 15, 2008

And a happy birthday it was!


We had quite the weekend for Ryan's 27th birthday. He was born on 7/11 which is always an easy day to remember and we spent the day going to our favorite restaurant Red Robin and then seeing Kung Fu Panda. We appreciate good clean movies whenever possible :) Afterwards we met up with our friends the Tullis' and Millets' for a night hike and games.



























Also for Ryan's birthday weekend we went camping up at Causey with my cousin Kylee and her husband Brody. We love these guys because they are up for anything, they are great company, they love Emma, and we have a lot in common. We camped at a spot only accessable by boat on Causey Reservoir which sits between Snow Basin and Bear Lake. There are no motorized boats allowed so the water is a beautiful crystal clear green color and smooth as glass all the time. We paddled about 30 minutes in with a canoe and a kayak and then set up camp at the best camping spot in the whole widest world.

After exploring and cliff jumping Kylee and I paddled back to the car to look for some playing cards while the boys chopped down fire wood and tracked a deer in the mountains above our camp. When we returned, after being gone a lot longer than it should have taken us, the boys met us at the shore with our very own little bouquets of wild flowers. I love surprises, and it's the little things that mean the most to me.





The boys were off in the woods being boys so Kylee and I had to entertain ourselves somehow. We found that candid photos occupied us for quite a while.























There was the most beautiful sunset and the location just couldn't have been more perfect.
















































After Little Smokey's for an appetizer and our yummy foil dinners, the boys set up traps to catch crawdads. They had really good success and found the best trick was to just reach in and grab them. They had that for dessert and Kylee and I had dutch oven raspberry peach cobbler.























The crawdads tasted just like crab and made for good entertainment around camp.


















In the morning we took our time packing up and the boys jumped off some higher cliffs before we headed back to the car. Kylee and I had our fill of adrenaline from cliff jumping the day before, so we just took the pictures.

























We just had the best time! For me this camping trip just really hit the spot. Good fun, good company, beautiful scenery, and it was just so peaceful. I've been searching for over ten years now and I have finally found my second favorite place. Causey Reservior comes in as a worthy second behind Cannon Beach, Oregon. I'm already looking forward to going back soon.

8 comments:

Stacey said...

Finally Bundy has someone to eat wierd foods with. That water is so still. I swam in it once and it right freaked me out. Seriously I started having a panic attack. I think it was those narrow canyon walls and the fact that the water level was really low....(shudder). Best on a kayak like you said. The cliff jumping looked way fun. When the kids are older I'd love to do that when we visit. I can see that being a pessal place in your heart....but it doesn't have little birds with webbed plastic looking feet to throw bread to, yummy hot donuts or ice cream cones that fall to the ground when you lick them. Nice try though :>

Lee said...

That camping trip sounds so fun. I'm glad you guys got to go. The pictures are awesome. That is a beautiful spot. I'm glad you enjoy the Hatch's as much as we do!

The Georges said...

Happy Birthday Ryan! That looks like an awesome place! I hope its not too secret so you can tell me how to get there.
Linds!!!! WE NEED TO GET TOGETHER! I don't have your #, though. So, here's mine. 801-682-0545. Call me!

Carrie said...

That sounds ideal! I have been wanting to go camping for reals like that since Lava. I'm not sure I'm up for it this summer but we should plan a camping trip for next! I think your problem is that you're always trying to out do the last years birthday and some things you guys do are just too hard to beat. . .like this one! Now what'll you do next year?(: So fun for a guy to be in the woods for his b-day! I'm sure Ryan adores you for it and for making good use of your time (: loved that (: while he does his guy things!

Kylee said...

Great post Linny! You are much more on top of things than I am. I love that you turned that picture of me and brody to b&w. I'll have to steel that one! That was the FUNNEST camping trip for sure! We should make it a tradition every summer... what do you think about that?

Jamie Jo said...

We're up for anything. Too bad we didn't get invited too. That's okay. We had much more fun staying home and cleaning.

The Call Family said...

Hey lins! I just had to say last week when we were in Utah and drove pass BYU, it brought back so many memories of us at EFY!! so funny!!!!:) good time:)

Kylee said...

No way is my post better than yours! I'm just not good at condensing information so it's just really long... And I'm going to plan on going next year if you guys are up for it!