Sunday, January 17, 2010

Power of Prayer




















I took these photos with my camera phone as Lydia was waiting for the Dr. to come in and see her. I've never seen her look so sad.





















I just want to thank everyone for their prayers on behalf of Lydia last Wednesday night. I have NEVER been one to ask for help, even when I need it most. Wednesday afternoon Lydia went in for her routine vaccines. The Dr asked if I wanted the H1N1 and I said no, she was too little and it was too much at one time. He ended up talking me into it by pointing out how guilty I would feel if she did actually get H1N1 and how much more devastating that would be on her body. So reluctantly, I agreed. Four hours after Lydia had her immunization shots she became terribly sick and was throwing up every five minutes. For the last hour of it green bile was all that came out. It was absolutely devastating as a mother to see her little body shutting down and to know that I had a hand in her distress. This was a new chapter in our family since Ryan and I couldn't be together in a time of such worry. Ryan stayed home with Emma and I took Lydia to the ER from 10-2 am. Her little body was just so lifeless as I watched it start to shut down. She didn't even react when they started the test to draw her blood, insert a catheter and an IV as well. This was the first time in my life I have ever called on family and friends for help. I asked them to pray on behalf of Lydia, and I know in my heart of hearts that it absolutely made a difference. As a mother I was definitely picturing the worst case scenario and I felt I was to blame for the whole situation. I do believe that vaccines are a necessary evil but next time I will be getting her one shot at a time, I don't care how inconvenient it is to me or the doctor. I did call the doctor the next day and I politely expressed how my concerns were validated and I think he gave poor medical advice and should use our situation to spare other mothers from the same fate. I know I have some friends who are against vaccines and I would appreciate it if you would save your "I told you so" for another time. This post is just a big fat thank you to my friends and family who showed genuine concern for Lydia and to give credit to God for not letting her fulfill the few statistics where things go terribly wrong. Somewhere out there another mother's child will fill that statistic, and my heart goes out to her. For now I am thankful that God intervened and has helped Lydia recover (after 2 days) and return to the sweet, happy baby that I adore and love.

13 comments:

Annie said...

Those pictures of her say it all. I wish I could have been home to tend Emma so you and Ry could have been together. I believe as you do, that prayers saw her through.

Jamie Jo said...

Poor baby. She looks so sad. That is so hard as a mother to see your child ill or hurt and not be able to help. Good on you for saying something to your doctor. I hope he apologized. What did he say? When are you going to post about Applebee's?

Valerie: said...

Oh poor baby!! I am so sorry she had that reaction. Never let your doctor give you a hard time. Mine did too when I took London in for her 1 year check up cause i would not give her any flu shot, especially not the H1N1 because it is new and we do not know the side affects but that is just how dillon and I feel but i know lot's of people think you must get the flu shot. I am just anti but not anti vaccinations but like you think they need to be spread out.I think my doctor got mad but who cares. I am waiting to give london her the MMR shot till she is 18 months cause she was already getting 4. Anyhoo you thought you were doing the right thing and DO NOT feel bad at all girl. You never know how a baby will react cause they are all different. I am glad she is okay. She is just a doll. I want to squeeze those cheeks. Hope your all doing good.

Kylee said...

Those pictures are so sad looking but I'm so glad she is feeling better!!

The Plewe Clan said...

Those pics are so sad -I feel your pain as a mother to watch your child suffering and not being able to help. Carter was in the hospital for 5 days with RSV when he was 4 months old and it was a terrible week...you feel helpless. I hope that DR apologized to you. My only advice is to "trust your "mother's" intuition"! Sadly, I had to learn that lesson the hard way! Also, Tracy and I have talked alot about vaccinations and we both are ok with them but we only do one at a time. I have explained this to my DR and she doesn't always agree with me but I stand my ground-DR are not always right. Hang in there and look at this as a lesson learned. I am so glad she feels better...you are a fantastic mother and your girls are so lucky to have you!!!

Darren and Traci said...

k that post just about broke my heart! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Seeing your baby in a hospital bed with tubes and such attached to them is the worst thing ever. I'm so sorry you had to go through it. Even though you probably don't want to be chastised, why in the heck did you not call me!?! I would have driven up there and taken Emma in a heartbeat! I know it's so hard to ask for help though, I'm the same way but we've got kids, we know how it is and would have been there for you guys if we would have known. So while I hope there is never another thing like this that you need to call us for, just know you totally can no matter day or night.

Also I'd like to kick your Dr. I'm sure that he or she is probably a decent one despite this thing happening but I can't stand when a Dr pressures you into feeling one way or another. I switched Drs just for this reason. I couldn't stand that she tried to guilt me into things and make me feel like a bad mom. Stick to your guns and trust yourself. And don't beat yourself up over this either, sometimes our kids little bodies respond to things in ways we could never guess. I'm so glad that she is doing better though and that prayers are answered.

Sorry this is so long :)

Julie said...

What a wonderful blessing from the Lord.

Lee said...

Those pictures break my heart! I meant to ask you what she did when she got the IV, and now knowing she did nothing makes me even more sad! I think I would feel better about it if I knew she cried over it. I'm so happy to see her back to her old adorable smily self.

tutus n bowties said...

Sad story! I'm glad little Lydia is smiling once again! Thank goodness for the power of pray.

The Great Lakes of NY said...

Lindsey, I'm so grateful that your baby is okay. What a sweet post this is. I actually looked your blog up on Stacey's to THANK you for your kind words and how grateful I am that I did because yours is a blog that I'd like to visit often! You have such a beautiful family and such a sweetness about you. I remember how much I loved you the last time I was with you! You were still in HS!! Now you have these two beautiful little girls! I wish you lived closer so that I could pass Brielle's clothes on!! My neighbor gives her all of her clothes. I know how GRATEFUL I am and wish I could do the same for someone else. So good to be back in touch with you!

Jeff and Susan said...

i am glad everything is okay!!

Vonnie said...

What a sad story. It's so scary when a little child is so sick. I'm glad she got better after a few days and that she is back to her normal self. Bad health really makes you appreciate good health, especially in little innocent babies!

Jord said...

What a terrible experience! I am so sorry for you and had no idea. Those pictures are so sad and I am glad she is on the mend.