Saturday, August 28, 2010

Come on Walt, why don't you just come out and say it


Sadly, Emma has been watching a lot of movies lately so I can keep working. I have noticed a rather disturbing pattern in the fact that most Disney movies either don't have a mother in them at all, or the mother had died, or she is replaced by an evil step mother. Did Walt Disney have a bad mother? Why has this trend continued even after his death? In Princess and the Frog the girl was driven by her father's influence and wanted to make him proud, even though her mother was still a part of her life. Anyway, these are the movies that make me think...
Evil stepmother
-Snow White
-Cinderella
No mention of mother to begin with
-Beauty and the Beast
-Little Mermaid
-Pocahontas
-Aladdin
-Pinocchio
Mother is killed or captured
-Finding Nemo
-Dumbo
-Fox and the hound
-Bambi
Dad gets the spotlight
-Princess ad the Frog
-Hercules
-Lion King
-Mulan
Those are just a list of the movies that I can think of. Peter Pan is probably the only movie that had an accurate depiction of parents, but the rest of those are just fishy to me. Just had to get this off my chest.

4 comments:

Jamie Jo said...

You can't actually blame Walt Disney. Most of those are old fairy tales written long before Walt was even born, by a number of writers; The Brothers Grimm, Hans Christian Anderson, etc. It is interesting, but not poor Walt's fault. I'm trying to think of some with a good mother figure; Aristocats is the only one coming to me off the top of my head. Tarzan has the adopted Gorilla mom.

Jamie Jo said...

Rachel adds that Toy Story 3 has Andy's mom. She thought Princess and the Frog had the girls mother.

Kylee said...

Wow, good observation. I've never thought of it before. Pretty weird.. I'm trying to think of other movies, but can't come up with any. Oh what about Jungle Book? I don't really remember the situation in that one.

Heather C Taylor said...

Wow! I have never thought of that before! Wow! That is about all I can say is...Wow. Good observation!