Sunday, August 29, 2010

Fine, Walt you're off the hook

So I was rather bothered by my little realization that most Disney movies are missing a good mother in their lives. So I typed that concern into google and it turns out others have thought this same thing as well. There was actually some pretty good reasons why the mothers are so frequently absent. It all comes down to the fact that the characters in these movies are usually portrayed as heroes, overcoming the odds stacked against them. If they had a mother in their life then we wouldn't feel so sorry for them, it would give them someone to talk some sense into them and give them comfort when they need it. Also, it would eliminate a lot of the motherly roles such as the fairy god mother, the tea pot in Beauty and the Beast, and other leading roles that play out in the form of a best friend. I wonder if Ariel had a mother if she really would have wanted to be human, perhaps it would have been too hard to leave her life under the sea if she were leaving her mother behind. So, I feel better now. Plus, my sister Jamie pointed out that Walt Disney wasn't writing these stories, he was merely producing age old fairy tales into softer versions. Ahhhh, my world is at peace once again :)

3 comments:

Cami said...

love it. love the post, love the new background but....I am blind and can't read the white letters! Can you change your font to black? Thanks- Your OLD Friend the 30 year old!

Lee said...

I agree w/ Cami- that white type was hard to read! Yea- it's just not me and my old-age eyes! haha- interesting thoughts about Disney movies. I'd never really thought of it! I'm happy for you (and emma) that she has so many movies to choose from. When Ky was 2, all we owned was Cinderella and Bambi. I'm pretty sure I had those movies memorized.

Jamie Jo said...

You are a funny girl. If the White Washed Disney versions bother you, you should read some of the darker original fairy tales. Yikes!