Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Love is Tweet

This little magic trick was one that my first grade teacher used on me. To this day I remember the shame of being told to turn my light to yellow. How it works is that when Emma goes to bed at night if her light is green then she gets a star, five stars in a row equals a special mommy/daughter day. Yellow light at bedtime means no star, red light at bed time means no star AND no night light or book for bed time. She has the chance to earn her light back to green by doing something good or helpful that she was not asked to do. So far, no red lights. I'm happy to report this little "light system" works just as well on Emma as it did me when I was a little girl.
Emma had her little Valentine's party today with her three little girlfriends she's had since birth. Daviny Rasmussen, Lily Stowers and Addi Malmberg.

I bought a bird cookie cutter and had our local baker (Lee, from the Straw Market) whip me up some darling bird sugar cookies that we used as the party favor. Lee's marketplace made me some red bread to use for sandwiches.

My mom did this when I was a little girl and I just now remembered it a few days ago. Take some tiny flower pots, fill them with ice cream, top with crumbled cookies, a gummy worm, and silk flowers, voila!!

In keeping with the Love Bird theme each of the girls made a bird feeder to take home. Emma and I gathered pine cones earlier in the week, then the girls layered them with peanut butter and then we topped it off with bird seeds.
I am fully aware this as not a great photo. However, it was freezing outside and I forgot to adjust my settings for the lighting and just snapped a quick photo of the girls before letting them run back inside. So I did the best editing I could for what I had to work with.

8 comments:

Lee said...

the creative genius is at it again. . . do you sleep at all?

Kylee said...

Love it!! Such a cute and creative theme. I love the flower/ice cream pots. That's awesome! Cute stuff Linny!

Carrie said...

Seriously! How do you come up with this stuff? We're just lucky enough to see it in reality and be ever jealous of your party throwin skills! Once again a huge hit and you're at the top of Addi's(and my) favorites! So glad they've been friends for this long. . .

tutus n bowties said...

What a cute idea! Love anything birds.

Jessica said...

I agree with my mom! You are truly amazing!

Holls said...

Lily had such a blast! Thanks again for throwing such cute parties for these girls. I hope they'll always stay close:)

Stacey said...

You're still at the top of your game I see! Love the traffic light system. Kids are so wonderfully easy to train. Pity more mothers don't give it a try.

Darren and Traci said...

love the little party idea, so cute and fun. And Emma is so funny with her expressions holding the traffic lights, that's a great idea. We like to do "warm fuzzies" and the kids think they are magical. But we do them for everything not just bedtime. Anytime they're being good or helpful they get one. Who knew a little pompom could be so awesome.