Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Happy Mother's Day




My day started off smelling so yummy! Ryan had gone the night before and gathered together the most beautiful bouquet of lilacs and snuck them in the house just before we went to bed. So it was a very beautiful surprise that morning. Also in keeping with the smell good theme he got me the yummiest lime twist salt city candle. I don't know what is with me but yummy candles are my all time favorite!
Then in church I was at first very worried when to my surprise I saw his name on the Sacrament program, but again he was right on top of it. He had been asked to speak on Mother's and do a little tribute to me, and he did such a great job! He shared some of the key points that Julie Beck made in her talk Mother's Who Know, then he compared how I apply those in my life. My most favorite part was when he said how I never really liked school, and never really liked working, but that I always did what was needed of me. Then he went on to say that when I had Emma I really came into my own and that this is my true calling in life and he just talked about how I've waited my whole life to be where I am and I am just making the most of it and cherishing every day. That right there means more to me than any gift or any worldly offering he could make. For him to recognize that, and also say it aloud is just priceless to me.




After church we went to a park in Brigham City to meet in the middle. We all had a food assignment and had a very yummy picnic to keep the Sunday dinner minimal on my mother. We loved this arrangement and hope to do it at least twice a month while the weather is still really nice.





















We played kickball and had races and then we washed it all down with yummy cream cheese cupcakes! What a great mother's Day!

13 comments:

Kylee said...

What a cute thing for Ryan to do! Don't you just love surprises? The park/picnic thing sounds like it was a lot of fun! I'm so excited for Emma to come stay this weekend. I guess Brody don't come back until Tuesday, so I'm debating if I want to miss class that day and come down Monday. That way I can bring Emma. So let me know what you think...

Jord said...

Lucky girl! It makes a Mom's day to know that she is appreciated for what she does and I'm so glad that Ryan gave you a much deserved shout out. And I'm jealous of the lilacs...they are my favorite flower of all time!!!

Carrie said...

Ryan always does the sweetest things for you! I wish I could have heard his talk! Too bad we were at our other ward. You're such a great Mom! I'm glad you got the Mother's Day you deserve!

Annie said...

Ryan rocks! Lilacs AND a tribute. And cupcakes. Say no more.

Lee said...

Ryan's the man! you have him trained so well!

Holls said...

ohhh! That got me all teary-eyed. You are such a cute mommy and I'm so glad to call you my friend because you are a great example to me!Also, those cream cheese cupcakes sound delightful, I might need that recipe.

Jamie Jo said...

Should you explain why I am making a dorky face over Josh's shoulder, instead of just putting it out there for people to look at and say, "That must be the freaky sister she is always talking about."

Lindsey said...

I would explain it Jo except I'm not sure myself why you're doing it. All I know is that it's funny.

Darren and Traci said...

Those flowers are gorgeous! How thoughtful. It looks like you had a great day.

Kylee said...

Linny, Emma has been so much fun! Thanks for LETTING us watch her. Except I'm sad that she doesn't have Little Poot anymore. That was so funny! Yeah Salomon is a little too wild and jumpy right now since he is still a puppy, but when he's older they can definitely be friends! Emma likes him now, but only from a distance or through the window.

The Poulsen Family said...

You have to tell me the story of you and Ryan after high school. I kind of left the Portland scene after high school and don't really know your story. I would love it hear it :) You're so lucky to have eachother!

Stacey said...

I like Jamie's new pose in that picture....she's really making the rounds with her new trademark.

Stacey said...

That was very sweet of him to pay you that tribute. You really have come into your own in the motherhood role. I love that picture of you hugging Ryan. He is a great husband and has many of the same attributes that Todd has in the appreciation and sweet gesture arena.