Monday, May 19, 2008

A Stroll in The Park

My family is a very active family. Most vacations revolve around something athletic, and I've always cherished that. However this month my whole family decided to do some form of participation in the Ogden marathon and I just wasn't interested, running isn't my thing. I am thankful that in the end my parents encouraged/forced me to just walk the half marathon with my mom and I am sooooo glad I did. We had the best time and it made me want to look into the world of running a little bit more.
Jamie, mom and I walked the half and just laughed and talked the entire time. I'm sure some of the "elitist" runners were not amused with how lightly we took this task.
It started in the Ogden Valley and the roads were closed so we could have the prettiest route in the whole state of Utah. Seriously, Ogden Valley is the best kept secret.
My mom and dad are just true rock stars and are such an inspiration to me of staying fit and healthy.
Definitely the highlight was when my mom had us stop just a mile before the finish line to grab a diet coke and some peanut butter cookies. We were cracking up at the insanity of it all. This one little pit stops just sums up so much of what I adore about my mom.
My sister Stacey and her husband Todd flew in to compete in the race. This was Stacey's 8th marathon and she has participated in many tri's and even an iron man, so this was like a Sunday stroll for her. Todd is a great supporter of her hobbies and I am so thankful she has a man who encourages her.

My parents are 60 years old! I can't even believe it. My dad ran the half marathon in 2:08 and I am just so proud of the example he is setting and for his desire to stay strong.
Sara and Cody also ran the full marathon in a relay, and it was so fun to meet up and congratulate everyone at the end. Everyone was actually feeling pretty good, but they thought it would be a funny pose for the camera to do a visual effect of how they would be feeling later that night.









12 comments:

The Poulsen Family said...

That's awesome that you did the half!! If you ever want to get into running let me know I have a lot of great training schedules (even a couch to 5K) but it looks like you have plenty of influence from your family. That cracks me up that you stopped for coke and cookies with a mile left. In the Vegas 1/2 people were running and drinking beer at the same time...pretty funny too.

Annie said...

Janet's comment just brought dignity back to my life! That day was so fun. I hope we do it again.

Shannon Allen said...

Your family is so awesome! Who doesn't admire and adore your parents! Love the pit stop and will never cease to be amazed by Stacey! Sounds like you had a great weekend! Great job!

Lindsey said...

Thank goodness for Janet, she did redeem you mom! I forgot to mention to everyone that my mom crossed the finish line with her big red cardboard coke cup in hand. I would pay good money to have had a picture of that, it makes me laugh just thinking about it right now.

Jackie Greenwood said...

Oh man, I can't believe you ran the half marathon, that is great! That is a goal I have some day in the far future. Your family is adorable, and I love your blog! Have a wonderful day!

Carrie said...

I am impressed with 13 miles!! You are always so good about working out! I am gonna be needing some motivation once this baby comes out! Your family seems so fun! I love you & your mom's sense of humor. . .I would've been right there with your mom getting diet coke!!

Lee said...

wow- carrie thinks you're "always so good at working out!" way to have your friends fooled! jk- really you get a workout just chasing emma around- and i know you do work out. i'm just giving you a hard time because i can :)

Holls said...

I just love the cookie and coke stop story! I'm totally being honest, because I think it shows just how down to earth your mom is and that she doesn't worry about impressing anybody and just has fun enjoying what life's really about!

Papa Trace said...

Good recap Lin. However, you added 5 minutes to my time...at age 60, one wants every evidence of non-aging they can get. You are always such a good sport. For others, I have to say that Ryan came through with the most delicious broiled chicken lunch back at the farm...had it not been for him, the rest of us sore-legged gimps might as well started a fast if it had been up to us to prepare a meal.

Kylee said...

That picture of the Ogden Valley mtns is so pretty!! That walk sounds like it was a lot of fun! After reading about it in your blog, Jamies and your moms, I feel like I was there. I hope one day I can do some sort of race, even if it is just walking.

Kylee said...

Hey I'm just replying to the comment you left me.. Yeah that picture of Sal was totally awesome! I don't know how we did it. Brody just said "hey let me see the camera, I want to take a picture of him" and after he did he was like "wow, look at his face!" And we laughed about it for a while. It was just lucky I guess. And yeah that question is a fun one. It's not really deep or anything like that, but just different and fun to think about. Thanks for your input! That's awesome that one road can serve so many different purposes for you!

Kylee said...

Yay for little poot!