Sunday, August 24, 2008

And we're off....


















Portland, Oregon is my most favorite city ever. This is where it all started for Ryan and I and we both just love to come here and visit, this is definitely my "high" for the year. So we're on a ten day visit to see the in-laws and these next posts are going to be all about our visit. Get ready to be jealous.






















First thing's first, I had to get an elephant ear. We arrived in Portland around 1:30 a.m on Friday night, and stayed up until nearly 4:30 am visiting. Then in the morning I skipped breakfast so I could be preparing my taste buds to really maximize the experience of eating an elephant ear. Nothing in the world is better to me than this.
































W went to Saturday market with Ryan's sister Julie and we also brought our neice Madeline with us. Saturday market is a very authentic Portland experience. I don't remember the last time I have seen so many people with tattoos and tube tops.

















We gave the girls some money to give to this little band and they let the girls "rock out" with them.













This picture just totally cracked me up. Everyone in Portland is very loyal to their dogs, they bring them with them everywhere. This dog looks like the wife of the driver with the way she is sitting. The best part is that she was buckled up, shoulder strap and all.























The next thing we did was take the girls to one of the many water fountains in Portland and let them swim. Emma was in heaven! This water fall was in a courtyard behind the building we used to live in when my family lived in the city. Emma kept saying "I'm swimming in a water fall, this is so much fun!!"


















So a little accident happened while I was trying to keep Emma from falling down the water fountain. I took a tumble, taking our digital camera down with me. When I handed it off to Ryan there was water dripping from every button and hole. The screen went black and it was totally dead. The good news is that Ryan did catch my fall on video, so at least we got a good laugh. My mom loaned us some great talks on CD to listen to on the drive up. My favorite was by Gene R. Cook that was on prayer. It was amazing and really inspired me to have faith and pray for something as simple as fixing our camera. Sure enough, this morning it is back to it's old self. Thanks mom for sending us with that great talk. Last night I missed out on taking pictures of the Portland temple, dinner with all of the Bundys, and guitar hero back at Greg and Becky's. No worries, plenty more pictures to come. We're having so much fun and I am just so thankful to be reminded that nothing is too little to ask of God.

7 comments:

Annie said...

You've got the jealousy part right. Sometimes I just wish we all lived back there again. Camelot... well sort of --minus Jamie's awful marriage.

I'm so happy for blog world and the opportunity to see your wonderful adventures as they are happening. Tell all the Bundy's 'hello'!!!

Lee said...

I'm so happy you're having so much fun and that the camera is working again! Awesome! Your "tumble" shouldn't have come as a huge surprise to anyone should it- butterfingers? Should we just start calling you Bella Swann? Haha. Was the Elephant Ear the only bread item for the day? If not, its OK- goals aren't really in effect on vacation. . . the dog in the car- PA LEASE. I'm not a lover of dogs in cars- especially in the front seat. Even though my own daughter does it (thankfully with no seat belt) I still have to comment about how I don't love it!
Keep having fun- and I love that you're posting as you go.

Holls said...

Sounds like so much fun so far! I'm glad you are keeping everyone up back at home. Seeing all the pictures will really help us want to go to Portland with you guys next year! Yeah, we just invited ourselves.

Darren and Traci said...

Fun times. I always love to visit Portland and the family I just don't think we could ever live there again. It is such an awesome place though. Glad you are having a good time and that your camera is working just fine for you to be able to document it.

Alana said...

I'm glad that you guys have had such a fun summer! You are such a fun and creative mother. I am going to have to call you for ideas!
-Alana

Carrie said...

Yay for internet and that you are making us all jealous!! You deserve it! I'm so excited to see you via blog world and on vaca because it feels like forever. Not to mention where "THE BUNDY's" got established(; I love to hear about all of the fun exciting things you're doing while I sit on my butt in the a/c because going anywhere is too exhausting. WE miss you! I was devastated to hear about your "fall" and the camera mishap but so en-lightened to see how you reacted and the example you set. I would've been super upset and come to think of it, something similar happened to me this weekend and I'm pretty sure I swore! I have a long ways to go and a lot to learn from your story. . .keep them coming!(:

Kylee said...

I'm glad your camera didn't break! That would have been so sad to loose all those pictures. Especially the one with the dog... that's hilarious! A seat belt?! We take our dog on car rides but we don't but a seat belt on him. That's pretty funny. I'm glad you guys are having so much fun! I hope we can go there one day.

p.s. what exactly is an elephant ear?