Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Guest Bathroom

Our guest bathroom is rather but small. However we just recently added this "space saver" shelf above the toilet and what a difference it makes. We did our research and found that Home Depot had the best selections. You definitely don't want one with a depth less than 10 inches. It's a great cost effective way to add more shelving and storage to such a small space.

Most starter homes come with the cheap oak cabinets. It is so easy cheesy to paint them either black or white. I prefer the "distressed" look which has a little bit of the sanded edges to it. I mean it would be great to just replace the cabinets, but buying a can of paint is a good way to hold you over until you can get to that stage in life. Also, splurge and buy good cabinet hardware, it really makes a difference for $3-$4 a knob.


One of my very favorite home decor stores is TJ Max. Five years ago I scored on finding all of my Paris items at one store. My all time favorite find was the Paris shower curtain hooks and this terry cloth shower curtain, it is still one of my favorite items in our house. I set up my whole bathroom for well under half of what Bed Bath and Beyond would cost.
This is the BEST tip of all. Emma came with a full head of hair, so since day one I have had to figure out how to make bath time enjoyable since every bath involves lots of scrubbing of the hair. We went to Home Depot and for less than $20 got this hose that connects onto the shower head. It's the only practical way for washing her hair. She gets food in her hair, dumps dirt on her head, and she has a constant runny nose that is always sticking to her hair. Laying down in the tub doesn't get it as good and clean as it needs. So if you have long locks of hair that need a good scrub down, give this a try, best $20 I ever spent!


6 comments:

Stacey said...

Hello, why wasn't this ever shared with me. I told you all about my popcicle invention. That gets em in the tub every time and for only 30 calories or something :> How would that fare if adults were wanting to shower in there?

Lindsey said...

For adults it works great cause you just unplug the little hose and then the shower head works like a normal shower head. It really is quite genius.

Annie said...

I was so excited to learn these tips and see the new bathroom cupboard addition.

Lee said...

that cupboard looks great! Love all the picts of your house- even tho i see it in person, i still love looking at pictures of it. you're a fabulous decorator, and i lOVE that you like to bargain shop

Stanford Family said...

I wish Kalli had hair! I haven't really even thought of dirt getting in her hair or having a running nose and her hair getting stuck to it. Just watch this boy come out with a full head of hair. I won't know what to do! LOL.

Mikael said...

I love your cabinents painted! We are in the process of looking for houses and seems ALL of them have those oak cabinents in the kitchen and throughout, I will have to paint them and your turned out so well!
Your house is cute