Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Emma's Nursery

I had been dreaming of what my nursery would look like ever since we found out we were pregnant with Emma. I always knew if I had a girl it would be pink and brown, that was before the craze hit, and now this color combo is kind of played out, but I still love it anyway. One little piece of advice for anyone who wants bead board. We found that if you get the tongue and groove bead board and plan to paint it, well it expands and you have to do touch up paint pretty regularly. That's on my to-do list for this weekend.

I love pillars!! When Emma was little I had the room arranged different. But now I have to make sure they could never fall on her because they are very heavy. The bad news is that the best pillars come from the antique district in Portland, Oregon.

These block Emma letters are my all time favorite! They are so easy to make and the whole project cost less than $30. My mom gave me the idea from something she saw in an Arizona store called Poppies. Get a thick piece of wood and have it cut into a 12x12 size. Then use yes glue to stick down your paper of choice. You can find the letters at Robert's Crafts or most scrapbook stores for about $3. Use Yes Glue for those as well, and voila!! I originally had Emma's crib right below these letters, but then after praying every night for two years that the letters wouldn't fall on her, I finally just moved her crib in front of the window and now I can sleep at night.

I am a firm believer in buying things cheap when you can get them cheap. I bought this changing table for $20 bucks at a used kid's store and across the street at Babie's R Us it was $60. I painted it to match her bedroom and I definitely got my money's worth. I also got this little cabinet from the D.I. It was originally an old cheap wood and we just sanded it down and painted it to match her room. It's a great sturdy piece and it has doors to go on the front of it if we ever need them.


I also think people should decorate using family heirlooms or sentimental objects. This was Emma's blessing dress and I'll just get it dry cleaned once a year. My friend put her children's in shadow boxes and then hung them all in a row in the hallway.

I love this stuffed dog that my cousin Taylor made for Emma. It really helps with her bedtime routine when she has an emotional attachment to her pillow.




I made this myself to save a couple bucks, but it wasn't as easy as it looks. If you think you will do it yourself be sure to just use vinyl numbers and not stencils. Or you can just buy it for $40. I still need to hang it up. Looking back I wish I would have done it a different color so it could go in a boy's nursery as well.


This little pink box is my favorite trick. I keep the yummiest smelling satchel bag in there. Then whenever I change her diaper I take the lid off this little box and it makes the room smell yummy. Then I put the lid back on at night time to keep the smell contained and fresh. Works like a charm!


I LOVED baby shoes! I still do. I got this tall glass dome from Tai Pan in Utah. I think it is prefect for getting the most use and sentiment out of whatever you indulged in for your baby. Perhaps it was hair bows and head bands, stuffed animals or binkies, anything looks cute to display.

11 comments:

Mikael said...

I am so glad you posted her room! I have wanted to see it for so long. It is totally adorable. I love all your ideas. I am going to have to start the growth chart after we move to a 3 bedroom.
Right now I am excited to make the bedding for the twin boys (a lime/apple green, blue and brown theme- retro!) and decorate their room after we move. I am still deciding what to do with makenzie's theme (I want to make it an older girl theme rather than a baby theme).
Anyway, totally cute!

Jord said...

So cute Lindsey! You've got the decorating knack and her room is adorable.

Stacey said...

8 years later and I still have not gotten sick of my nursery. Yes, the bumper is pretty thrashed, but I love every detail just as much as I did when Camdyn was born. Hopefully you'll be able to get the same use out of the girl theme at least one more time....and out of all those clothes. Hope she likes tap and ballet.....big sigh "huuuuuh, I guess Emma gets my ballet shoes now". (Kennedy)

Lee said...

that nursery is so cute it makes me want to have another baby (lol) it just couldn't be cuter- until we see pictures of her big girl room!

Annie said...

You re-arranged! Did I see her little pink chair now that I think about it? I can't wait till you get my guest room done:>

Carrie said...

I have always LOVED her room! You always have such great ideas!! I loved our pictures~ thanks for taking time out of your day. Love ya!

Kristen said...

You are the most adorable crafty mama. I wish I had more time to do those fun things. But for now I'll just indulge in yours. The strangest thing is that Madelyn's nursery, all the way across the country and born before we reconnected, is done in the exact same colors. Chocolate brown on the bottom, a dark pink chair rail, and light pink on the top. Emma's room is WAY cuter, though, with all of the sweet boutique details. I did go all out and paint a wall shelf brown and hang a pair of her baby shoes on it. So, yeah.

The Poulsen Family said...

Emma's room looks awesome! You have such great ideas! When you come down to Salt Lake you must come decorate Brooklyn's room :)

The Skeen's said...

Emma's room is just darling. It is clear to me that you inherited your mother's talent for decorating. Such cute ideas and very very clever. Love the pink and brown!

Tracy said...

You have the best taste ever!! When I build my house and actually decorate my kids rooms I need to fly you out and have you work your magic!! no...for real...I really mean it! :) Her room is so DANG CUTE!! You got your mom's genes for sure!! :)

Kami said...

You seriously are the cutest ever! So talented! I love her room and the rest of your house! I really have loved reading your blog. You are so upbeat, and such an inspiration!